Care &Maintenance Procedures for Your New Eyeware
Congratulations on your new eyewear purchase! The doctors and staff want you to be familiar with proper care and maintaining your new eyewear. Below, we will illustrate the proper care & handling techniques to prolong the life of your important investment: your vision.
Eyeglasses can last for years if taken care of properly. Yet be aware that warranties cover defects and not abuse. Please follow the recommended guidelines below to prevent some common eyewear pitfalls:
- Did I purchase “Scratch Proof” lenses?
We wish that was an industry reality, yet “scratch proof” does not exist in the ophthalmic industry regardless of material or coating applied or even how much is spent. Not even super tough traditional glass lenses are scratch proof. Premium lens products and their respective coatings, if purchased, come with a truly tough “scratch resistance”treatment which should prevent common fine scratches from occurring. Without this treatment lenses will easily scratch; after all they are a plastic-based product. To reduce the possibility of scratching we strongly recommend high-performance anti-reflective coatings (ARC) like Crizal, Avance/Sapphire, or Zeiss Purecoat for maximum anti-glare performance, superior durability, and effortless cleaning.
The following are rules to clean and maintain your premium ophthalmic lenses:
- Never use harsh chemicals to clean your premium ophthalmic lenses like: Alcohol, Windex, Acetone etc. Those and similar product will render the premium coatings unable to maintain smudge proof or to clean easily. In addition, harsh chemicals will cause lens and frame damage.
- Always wipe lightly. Never press hard into the lens or try to “buff” a smudge/spot. If a spot is not easily removed, use a professionally made optical lens spray available at our practice for a nominal fee.
- Wash or replace your cleaning cloth on a regular basis. Do not use fabric softener if you wash your cleaning cloth. Over time, the cloth will pick up debris from cleaning, the stuffing in one’s pockets or purse, and as a result, you unintentionally “buff” your lenses causing scratches and wearing down the lens coatings. Our practice offers quality ophthalmic cloths for a nominal fee.
- Always use your eyewear case to transport your spectacles when not wearing them. Laying your glasses on the dashboard, console, in a purse, pocket, table, upside down, etc. will lead to scratches & damage.
- Do not use paper products such as paper towels or tissue to wipe your lenses. These products contain micro-wood fibers that lead to scratches or lens coating destruction.
- “Heat Damage” is also a major problem especially during Texas summers. Many times excessive or prolonged heat exposure will cause your lenses to fog, haze, crack, and warp. The heat can also crack and or warp your eyewear frames.
- Never leave your glasses in the car during the summer time. Even shady areas still maintain the Texas heat! Texas summer easily exceeds 110 degrees in a sitting automobile and will cook your lenses & spectacles.
- If you vacation, do not leave your glasses baking in the sand while at the beach. Both the sun’s heat and beach sand can easily cause scratches.
- “Green Funk?” Avoid cleaning your glasses with water regularly. Water creates moisture and does not dry as fast as optical lens sprays. Over time water along with naturally occurring airborne debris acts as a lubricant that gets between your lenses and glasses making it harder to keep clean. Common signs will show around lenses or nose pads as they form the “Green Funk” and lead to lens smearing when you go to wipe them.
- “Break Proof Frames” Unfortunately this product does not exist regardless of eyewear material. From cost conscious frames to high-end frames such as Cartier, Fendi, etc., nothing is break proof. If a frame is twisted, bent or stressed enough it will eventually fracture and break. Flexon and other “flex-like” frames are to help prevent breakage during sports, hobbies, children’s wear, or simply the convenience of a more comfortable break-resistant fit. When considering durability it is best to consult with your professional optician to find the best suited eyewear for your lifestyle. Eye Trends – Barker Cypress carry certified ANSI z87.1 Safety and or Sports eye wear from Liberty Sports and WileyX for the ultimate protection and breakage prevention eye wear. Some considerations when using your eyeglasses:
- Use both hands to place or remove your glasses
- Avoid falling asleep with your glasses on.
- Avoid wearing traditional eyewear for rough activities. If you are a sports or hobby enthusiast, consider using a sport/safety pair of eyewear. You wouldn’t wear your dress shoes for tackle football…would you?
- Avoid placing eyeglasses on your forehead or on top of your head as this stretches them. They can slip and fall to the ground damaging them.
- Check your frames screws or if your frame starts to wobble. Regardless of your eyewear manufacture, screws loosen over time. We are always happy to perform courtesy adjustments to your.
- My lenses are Scratch Proof: False, only scratch resistant treated lenses exist.
- The more money you spend the less likely it will break: False. Yes higher costs generally reflect a higher quality product leading to better performance and durability, but any product can break.
- Better brands mean break proof: False. Cartier can break as easily as Polo as easily as Fendi as easily as “xyz” brand. Proper handling and care leads to breakage prevention.
- My eyewear has a lifetime warranty: False. “Lifetime Warranties” rarely exist in the industry. Eyewear is a heavily used medical device. When applicable, warranties apply strictly to “Defects” and not abuse or normal wear & tear. Most professional practices warranty their products from 90 days to 1 year. There is a limit as to the number of times a warranty may be used without a processing fee. The “Lifetime Warranty” scenarios mandate the patient must directly coordinate with the manufacturer of the product by providing a copy of the receipt to make the claim. Examples include Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar etc.